STANCE of a MUSLIMAH

Our Lord! You truly know all that we may hide in our hearts as well as all that we bring into the open, for nothing whatsoever, be it on earth or in heaven, remains hidden from Allah. {Quran, 14:38}

5/19/2006

Return

"He will forgive you your sins, and admit you to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, and to beautiful mansions in Gardens of Eternity: that is indeed the Supreme Achievement." {Quran, 61:12}
One of the things that keeps me afloat in life is hope that whatever is that I am doing is the right thing and that I have a chance of be granted God’s Mercy. Everyone has ‘skeletons in the closet’. Here in the US, this phrase is in reference to those who have secrets that people wish not to be revealed. In Islam, if someone has given up a bad act or deed, it is best to conceal it, not sharing one’s forbidden acts with others, even to those closest to you. The reasoning of this is that there is more harm in exposing corruption than hiding it. If someone displays wrongdoings openly, like current day talk show hosts who make their living off of it, then there is a greater susceptibility of these situations becoming the norm and therefore we people get immuned and feel like the deception, fraud, nudity, and something as “simple” as vulgar language, is simply common and totally accepted. Islam is not just about an individual practicing his/her religion. Its about a total concept of community with Muslims and non-Muslims. I remember sitting in an Intro to Philosophy class when I was in college, almost a decade ago. My professor said something that I hadn’t considered before which I hold true to. He taught us that the 6:00 news is really not news. I don’t even remember what his name is, but I recall him saying it was chitchat gossipy scandals that point the finger dramatizing the lives of civilians. You know when you have those turning points in your life? Well this was one of them for me. At that time in my life I was also pregnant with my first child, and I thought he was so right that I began to wean myself away from trash talk like Ricki Lake (another talk show) and even those fashion magazines which relate to absolutely nothing about reality nor anything of which I aspired to be, nor wanted for my baby. Alhamdulilah, Praises belong to Allah.

It’s real tempting sometimes for me to turn on the TV and watch Oprah or even Dr. Phil, but what do these have to do with me? My beliefs? My purpose? My being??!! Absolutely NOTHING. So then I start to think what is it that glamorizes the life of people who are completely lost and unsuccessful in this life and certainly in the next if they don’t smart up? I don’t have the answer, and I can sit here and blame Shaitan/Satan. But didn’t Allah give me a will? He did give me, little speck me, a will to defy the nonsense in this world. It will be me, not my parents nor my husband, which will be accountable for what I do-see-hear-touch, or indulge in. So my constant struggle, my jihad, is just that. My life is supposed to be a representation of the path Allah has established for humanity, and the path that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) has explained, and the path that the 4 best of women of all of humanity, Maryam: mother of Jesus (pbuh), Khadija: wife of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) Essya: wife of the wicked Pharoah, and Fatima: daughter of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh). May Allah grant them the best for their pious and righteous ways.

But all of this is not about me, its about repenting. We are insignificant without Allah. We are not better than the next. One who has strong faith in Allah may lose it all in a second, and one who is a Kaafir, an atheist, may end up with the strongest of faith. It’s happened in history, and it happens all the time. For this reason, we all have to rectify ourselves, no matter how holier than thou we may be, or think we are! Another point is that although it could be that a bad situation we partook in is a learning situation, this does not mean we should say, what many people today say “I don’t regret anything of my past because I learned from it.” I don’t know, I don’t think this is right. It’s cool to admit our faults, but it’s not ok to proclaim that without our faults we wouldn’t have been guided. Because we don’t have a clue as to what or wouldn’t have happened. Just like we don’t have a clue as to what state of faith, or lack of we will die in. Maybe its through those faults that we felt weak and felt we needed to ask Allah for guidance and therefore supplicated for Him, so we got it. But this does not justify us saying that our past is something we should credit for getting to the point of further faith or closer to Truth. I don’t even know if that makes sense to whoever of you is reading this. All I mean is, to acknowledge you’ve done something wrong is the first part in solving it. Whether Muslim or not, be reminded to “return”, to repent, to seek Tawbeh. Allah is the Most-Merciful. Surely, with repenting comes guideance.

Enough of my rambling, and check out this article I’ve linked to the title of this post.

"And turn you all together in repentence to Allah O Believers, that you may be successful." »[Qur'an, 24:31] In the Quran, Allah also tells us: «"Surely Allah loves those who turn unto Him in repentence and loves those who purify themselves."» [Qur'an, 2: 222]

May Allah forgive all of us and may we be amongst the inhabitants of Jannah. Ameen.

4 Comments:

At May 20, 2006, Anonymous misfit said...

A'kum Suhaa..

As usual, thought provoking.

You know, I really don't trust the media. Be it the papers, radio or the tv... especially the news. But I do watch tv, hear radio and read the papers... purely for my satisfaction only (which is a bad thing, my bad nafsu to admit) but I'm trying my very best to avoid them totally, impossible I know. My bad. I'll keep trying, may Allah(swt) forgive me and strengthen my faith.

Oprah is one of my favourites. I watch but I don't 'go' into the tv. You get what I mean don't you?

My brother used to say this to me, for westerners... laughing is the best medicine for them, but to us, muslims, crying IS the best medicine.

Insya Allah.

Suhaa, I know I'm not suppose to praise you time and again (you know what I mean), but if you could write more often, it will be good. :)


Ps: I do get what you mean. Don't take pride in our past deeds instead repent at the thought of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes, I'm a regular reader of yours. I do drop by every single day. :) Keep blogging.

 
At May 20, 2006, Blogger SUHAA said...

asalaam alaikum sis,
you know, tv is a constant challenge for many of us, and i too am trying to wean myself away from it. with "Oprah" I sometimes watch her and think "MashaAllah, so generous blah, blah blah.." and then she has shows that depict her home or beautify her extravagance, and i just want to shout "HYPOCRITE"! She has stated too that people get what they work hard for..

I see this as a decreased reliance on Allah which gets me livid, because she takes credit for everything it seems, and that arrogance is something that annoys me.

i LOVE that saying of your brother..that is so true, when one cries out of sincerity we feel closer to Allah and Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) told us that one of the 7 types of people that will be guarded with His Shade on Judgement Day is one who cries for no other reason than sincerity for fear & hope to Allah.

About that pride thing..that's exactly what I mean, I'm surprised that made sense the way i said it in my post!

We all need to try to keep things real, and the more we consider that Allah gives us absoloutley everything..no matter what we have done to so-called earn it, then the more humble we get inshaAllah.
( i think!)


May Allah reward you for your kindness and motivation for me to write more stuff! Im not sure everyone would agree with you :-), the pressure is on for me to blog more! i actually always have thoughts running in/out, but the time is what gets me..blogging is a new hobby i enjoy alhamdulilah..if ever i say anything that goes against Islam even if its slight i hope you or anyone will let me know. i also feel like if i can write about it, then it helps motivate me to relfect more on Quran and understand more. there are topics i am considering to blog about but i don't want to be hypocrtical so i first have to improve within myself on these areas before i go and tell others the importnace of them , make sense?


back to the weaning of the tv stuff..i'm still working on this myself. i havent gone to the movies in years (actually since i started having kids-6 plus yrs ago, but there are things on tv i still flip through the channels somewhat..

anyways, may Allah make it easy on you, me and all the Muslims to repel what does not earn us Allah's Mercy..

ok, this is long enough! :-)

 
At May 20, 2006, Anonymous misfit said...

"there are topics i am considering to blog about but i don't want to be hypocrtical so i first have to improve within myself on these areas before i go and tell others the importnace of them , make sense?" -

But of course it made sense. This is exactly why I can't write when I really want to. You put it so well, I couldn't get the words right.. like how I want to say and etc.

And on the tv bit, I totally agree with you. It's hard to even try to refrain... but we'll keep trying. :)

 
At May 21, 2006, Blogger SUHAA said...

may Allah make it easy on you, me & all of us to see this world not through the majority eye, but through hearts of true faith. ameen!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Search in the Quran
Search:
Download | Free Code
www.SearchTruth.com
Locations of visitors to this page